Be aware that scammers have already devised numerous methods of defrauding people in connection with COVID-19. Scammers are setting up websites, contacting people by phone and email, and posting disinformation on social media platforms. Below is a list of some examples of scams linked to COVID-19 and a link to a list of steps that you can take to avoid them.
- Scammers selling fake cures, vaccines, and advice
- Scammer creating fake shops, websites an social media accounts to sell medical supplies
- Scammers contacting people by email or phone presenting to be doctors that have treated a family member and want immediate payment
- Charity scams soliciting donations for groups and individuals affected by COVID-19.
- Scammers posing as national or global health agencies sending phishing emails designed to trick recipients into downloading malware.